Long before Plymouth State University was built, Plymouth was originally the site of anAbernaki village that was burned to the ground by Captain Thomas Baker in 1712. This was just one of the many British raids on American Indian settlements during Queen Ann’s War. Part of a large plot of undivided land in the Pemigewasset Valley, the town was first named New Plymouth, after the original Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts. Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth granted Plymouth to settlers from Hollis, all of whom had been soldiers in the French and Indian War. Some had originally come from Plymouth, Massachusetts. The town was incorporated in 1763.Parts of Hebron and Campton were annexed in 1845 and 1860.
Plymouth State University evolved from Holmes Plymouth Academy, which dates back to 1808 as a pioneer institution for teacher training. As early as 1836, the Reverend Charles Brooks lectured before the legislature of New Hampshire and throughout the state on the subject of normal schools. An “act for the establishment and management of a state normal school for the better training of teachers” was passed in 1870.Find more on Plymouth NH wikipedia